Looks aren’t everything, but they can take you a long way as a business professional. You can tell a lot about a person by the way he carries himself. Having great posture is just one way to make sure that you always look your best.
With affiliates in over 800 cities nationwide, A1A Limo makes it easy to get to your meeting or appointment anywhere in the World.
“A strong confident person can rule the room with knowledge, personal style, attitude and great posture.”
― Cindy Ann Peterson
What is posture?
According to the American Chiropractic Association, posture refers to the way you hold your body, specifically while sitting, standing, or lying down. When you keep good posture your body parts are properly supported, maintaining the proper level of muscle tension against gravity. Your body does most of the work for you when it comes to the basic elements of posture, but it does take some effort to keep from developing bad habits that could damage your body, as well as your image.
It has been said that confidence can get you a long way. Good posture gives you the look of confidence and commands attention, simply by carrying yourself well as you enter a room. Not only that, but the health benefits are great. Keeping good posture helps lower the risk of strain and injury to your bones and ligaments.
You want to look like a confident business professional stepping out of that limousine with excellent posture. Great posture shows great confidence!
It’s easy to fall into the trap of bad posture. You may remember schoolteachers’ constant reminders to hold your head up straight, not to slouch, etc. If so, know that they weren’t just yelling at you for fun. They were trying to do you a favor. Poor posture looks sloppy and can cost you great opportunities. It can also cause strain on your body, often resulting in severe pain.
Examples of poor posture include:
- Leaning too far forward
- Crossing your legs
- Locking your knees
- Improper backrest placement in office chairs
- Sitting or standing for too long in one place
- Staying stiff/not relaxing your shoulders, etc.
Want to arrive to your business meeting on time and in style?
How to Correct Bad Posture
The best way to correct bad posture is simply to be aware of it. Try to make conscious assessments of your posture throughout the day.
Are you crossing your legs? Uncross them.
Are you feeling stiff? Stretch your neck, arms, shoulders, and legs to relax a bit.
It will take a concerted effort, because you are essentially making a lifestyle change, but poor posture can be corrected. You will thank yourself later.
Busy with that everyday life in the business world? Need an extra pair of hands?
How Good Posture Can Get You in the Door
Remember: Body language is a major way of communicating without saying a word.
1) Keep your head up. Avoid looking down at the ground. Not only does it make you look sad or nervous, but you are also quite likely to run into something or someone.
2) Make eye contact. Along with other body language tells such as a warm, genuine smile and a firm, unwavering voice, maintaining eye contact shows that you are taking the situation seriously. You want whomever you’re speaking with to know that you are paying attention and that you value his or her time.
3) Have a good, firm handshake. In fact, try to be the one who initiates the handshake. It shows that you are outgoing and not intimidated. Be careful, though. A soft handshake can be mistaken for weakness, fear, or uncertainty. An overzealous handshake or hard squeeze can be intimidating. It may give the impression that you are trying exert dominance or overcompensate for any feelings of doubt.
4) Don’t fidget. Most people have some nervous ticks, such as wringing your hands or pacing. While a mild level of stress is normal and healthy, coming off as too anxious can hurt you. Be aware of the ways that you show nervousness and work towards eliminating some of these tells.
5) Don’t appear standoffish. Simple things that you may not even notice can easily send the wrong message. Crossing your arms can make you appear closed-off, angry, or uninterested. Nervous ticks such as, drumming your fingers, can make you look impatient. This can give whomever you’re speaking with the idea that you feel as if they are wasting your time.
6) Don’t take up too much space. You want to appear open and inviting, but at the same time you don’t want to take liberties with other people’s personal space. Imagine that you finally land your dream job, but the moment you climb into that luxury limousine with the CEO he takes up three seats by himself. Don’t be that guy.
Keeping excellent posture definitely makes any business professional look good. Another way to look your best is use the best luxury transportation service available. Whether you need a chauffeur for hire on your next luxury travel excursion or an affordable limo for a corporate event, let A1A Limousine Service take care of your ground transportation needs.
Securing transportation for large groups can be a daunting task, we’re happy to take over the planning for you:
In the business world, first impressions are everything. You could show up to that major convention in a taxi like an average Joe and have to schlep your luggage out of the trunk or your chauffeur could get you there in a luxury car arranged through A1A Limo’s black car service. Our chauffeur service ensures that you are riding with a professional, whether you choose to ride in a luxury sedan or prefer limo service. When you have company executives coming into town, you can be sure to impress them with a luxury limo and a professional chauffeur to pick them up at the airport.
When planning your next event or business trip, check out our fleet. A1A Limousine offers so much more than limo rental. Our event planners can set you up with a party bus for a night on the town and even arrange your airport transfer to get you to your flight on time. In certain areas, we can provide personal concierge services when you need an extra set off hands. We offer protective services for celebrity appearances and other events. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, A1A Airport and Limousine Service can handles the needs of any business professional.
Written By: Amber M. Smith