After a long week of exhausting work, it may be impertinent to unplug from the professional world and choose to head out for a weekend getaway. Not only does this provide you with the ability to discover something new, recharge your batteries, but you may even make some new friends along the way. The reason why weekend getaways are important for health, both physical and mental, is because it gets you out of professional limbo and back in touch with adventuring, seeing the world, and enjoying “you” time. The only difficulty is knowing where to go for your getaway, which is why we’ve created a list for you!
- The Grand Canyon: is located in northwestern Arizona and embodies the iconic landscape of the American West. It is an amazing destination to check out if you are looking for sublime vistas, hardcore hiking adventures, or a knowledgeable getaway about geology. The Canyon is split into two different Rims, one being the South and the other being the North.
- The southern rim is open twenty-four hours a day, all year long and is incredibly easy to get to. It is recommended that you do book a reservation though as day-visitors often experience parking issues and congestion, just because it’s such a popular place to go. The northern rim, on the other hand, is a lot harder to get to because it is more wild and secluded. It is open from May through to October.
- Activities include free ranger programs, a visitor center and museum, and an interpretive short film about the area’s history, geology, and sanctuary status for plants and animals. You may also enjoy a scenic tour, bicycling rentals, canyon vista rides on mules, whitewater rafting, and a Grand Canyon railway journey.
- Yellowstone National Park – covers an extremely large regional area of 2,219,791 acres or 8,983.18 km across the states of Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. It is an amazing destination for a weekend getaway for those who want to be immersed in abundant wildlife, take part in recreational activities, and discover the calming effects of nature. The park offers visitors two smartphone applications for trip planning and hiking, so if you want to check out one or two trails, there are over one hundred, you will have free guides available to you.
- Lodging is broken down into winter and summer months which offer different options due to some of the inner trails only be accessible during the winter time. It is extremely important to note that there are daily tours you can take, but both the lodging and the guided activities fill up fast, so reservations are highly recommended. Other than this, always come prepared when you visit Yellowstone as the weather is unpredictable.
- Sanibel & Captiva Islands: are located just off of Southwest Florida and are perfect for those who want a healthy dose of sunshine, beaches, shell hunting, and bird watching. Available activities include snorkeling and scuba diving, fishing, shelling, cruises and Eco tours, boating and watersports, beaches, bird watching, nature tours, historical walks, bike rentals, spas and health clubs, as well as many art galleries and live theatre options.
In terms of lodging, there are over ninety-one available lodging areas which range anywhere from resorts to waterside inns, to rented condominiums and cottages. Some of these do have last minute deals as well as free night credits and discounts on direct bookings. Finally, there are over fifty-eight options in terms of dining and restaurants. This includes outdoor dining, seafood, lounges and sports bars, waterview restaurants, family dining, and pet-friendly dining.
- Galapagos Islands: are located off the coast of Ecuador in the Pacific Ocean and are considered a World Heritage Site due to the protection of the species that live there. There are nineteen islands in total, all of which have unique landscapes spanning from volcanic rocks, white sand beaches, and blue lagoons. Keep in mind that when travelling here, it’s not a tropical paradise as you would imagine and instead you will find that most of the islands don’t have any vegetation at all. However, because of the massive range in biodiversity, the human footprint is kept at a minimum here.
If you plan on visiting here, you will need a licensed guide and will need to book a few months in advance. There are day trips that you can take as well as small yacht cruises for those who want to see the more remote islands. Activities include diving where you will get to see hammerhead sharks, large schools of fish, and eagle rays, snorkelling where you will get to see sea turtles and sea lions, kayaking, surfing, wildlife watching, and hiking.
If you don’t want to go when there will be a lot of tourists in the area, avoid June, July, and August. If you are on a budget, do not go from mid-December to mid-January, and if you want to see the most underwater wildlife, go during November as the colder waters attract tons of marine life.
- Wisconsin Dells: is considered to be the “waterpark capital” in the world due to their world-famous live entertainment, cozy and luxurious accommodations, and indoor water parks. The Wisconsin Dells is located in Central Wisconsin and has over one hundred attractions for those who are visiting. However, you don’t necessarily have to be a waterpark lover to enjoy your time here. In addition to the indoor and outdoor waterparks, there are breweries, wineries, distilleries, animal attractions like a farm market, the crane foundation, and a wildlife park, a big cat rescue, as well as museums and exhibits. Other attractions include live entertainment, gaming (casino), golfing, and amusement parks. There are five water parks to enjoy, twenty-four scenic tours, six golf club areas, nine live entertainment venues, eleven animal-related attractions, nine amusement parks, and over thirty-nine different recreational attractions like go-karts, fishing, zipline tours, and watersports.
In terms of lodging, there are over 3,200 campsites and 8,000 hotel rooms to enjoy that range anywhere from resorts, to hotels, to vacation homes, cabins, bed and breakfasts, condominium rentals and waterfront properties. Finally, dining options range from personal catering to casual fast food, to bars and lounges, to concessions, ethnic foods, kid-friendly restaurants and fine dining.
It’s time you take back your weekends and turn them into an adventure that will afford you many memories down the line. Yes, sitting at home and relaxing might be enjoyable, but there is so much to see and do, you deserve to discover the world and get-a-way.